The University of Scranton’s Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence is now hiring student peer writing consultants for the fall semester.
“Our peer writing consultants are students from any discipline who possess excellent writing, speaking and interpersonal skills,” said Mary Burkhart, writing center coordinator. “They work with student writers to help them become better writers. They do not draft, revise, edit or proofread students’ papers. Instead, they help student writers learn to manage these important skills themselves.”
According to a writing center news release:
Writing Consultant Responsibilities:
• Help to create an environment that encourages and supports student learning and development
• Work with student writers to help them become familiar with the techniques that successful writers use to plan, draft, revise, and edit written documents
• Assess attitudes about writing and set goals for consultations
• Maintain accurate and up-to-date records
• Participate in training workshops and staff meetings
• Assist in special projects as needed
Writing Consultants Must Be:
• Caring and respectful
• Excellent writing, speaking, and interpersonal skills
• Basic computer skills (e.g., email, MS Word)
• Research skills (e.g., locating and documenting reliable and credible sources)
To apply for the position or for more information, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.