Students interested in applying for the Poynter Institute 2008 Summer Program for Young Journalists need to get their material together now. The application deadline is Nov. 15.
Student fellows spend six weeks, June 8 – July 18, at the Poynter Institute in St. Petersburg, Fla. learning:
- Everything you need to hit the ground running in your first newsroom job
- How to see the wide world of journalism and map out an ambitious career
- Reporting skills, including interview techniques, investigative research and beat development
- Visual journalism skills in print design, photojournalism, information graphics and interactive storytelling
- Ethical decision-making and teamwork
[Continue reading about the Poynter Fellowships]
A Poynter Fellowship not only teaches you quite a bit, it also opens a lot of doors for you once you start job hunting. Whether you apply or not is, of course, up to you. But you can’t say you never heard about this great opportunity.